Monday, March 25, 2013

Roller Coaster

Updates this weekend about Jon from Marie Minner, Jon's mother: 

3.23.13: “Busy week for Jon and the blood bank. He was admitted for platelets on Monday. His platelet count was 14 thousand with normal range 150-450 thousand. We knew they were low because his nose kept 'spotting' all weekend, a sure indication of low platelets. 

He was admitted again on Friday this time for platelets and red blood cells. His platelets were still 14 even after the platelets on Monday. His hemoglobin was below 8 so he needed red cells (packed RBCs) 

Both visits required admission for the day, it's outpatient but because he has to have special radiated blood due to his immune-suppressed state it takes hours to get from Red Cross. It's typically a 12+ hour stay. He certainly looks "less pale" after getting blood and has more energy. He has another week off before starting round five on Monday, April 1. 

We are hoping for no more hospital visits until then.”

3.24.13: “Unexpected admission to the hospital. Jon has an infection requiring antibiotics and IV fluids. Luckily he will not have to have surgery tonight but he will be checked by general surgeon tomorrow. We are praying that the antibiotics will be enough. He's really disappointed that he didn't get to stay home for the two weeks off chemo as planned. His next session is scheduled to start April 1.” 

3.25.13: "Good news, no surgery need, Temps 103 all night which delayed getting blood, normal now. Plan for some scans today."

Life has its highs and lows. You don’t have to be old and wise to know that much, but when cancer touches your life those ups and downs can really make you want to yell “STOP THE RIDE, I WANT TO GET OFF!”

I don’t know what it’s like to be the one who’s sick. I can only speak as someone who is cheering Jon on from the sidelines, wondering every day how he manages to maintain his cool. I don’t think I will ever forget the night he told me that he was sick. I remember feeling my heart sink as he told everyone else to leave us alone in his hospital room. When they had gone, he held me tight in his arms, my head against his chest, and he said, “Babygirl, the doctor came in and spoke with me today. I have Lymphoma.” Even then, his voice was so calm and reassuring. We will make it through this, and we will do it together. Jon’s strength is inspiring.

Every day something new happens. We rejoice at the good news, we make the best of the bad. Ups and downs, highs and lows.

For me, it’s been a steep learning curve, but I am beginning to believe that every moment of my life has been preparing me to better deal with new situations during Jon’s treatment as they occur. When it comes to coping with stressful situations, I can confidently say that I have more experience now than I’ve ever had.

Don’t get me wrong, I still have days when I just don’t want to get out of bed. The difference between me now and a younger me is that I don’t do it. “One day at a time” is a great thing to say if you’re having a good day. But I’ve found that it’s actually a lot closer to one moment at a time when you’re having a really bad day. When I’m tempted to shut down and wallow in self-pity, I turn my attention outside myself. Often, I grab my dog, Lindy, and we walk over to the hospital to visit hospice patients. It makes me feel better to know that I didn’t succumb to the temptation of doing nothing for myself — that what I chose to do instead was help others and by doing so, help myself. Because I chose to help myself, I am more prepared to be there for Jon when he needs me, which is what I want more than anything.

Please consider donating. Even if you can only afford five dollars, every little bit will help Jon pay for medical costs as he continues to battle Burkitt's Lymphoma. Giving to Jonathan Minner during this time of crisis is easy and safe. Click on the "donate" button below. You will be taken to the Paypal website to complete your transaction using your Paypal account, credit card or bank account.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact Bethany Culp at polymediastudio@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment